20 Home Projects that are actually worth doing...
One of the questions I get asked the most as a Realtor is "What improvements should I do to add value to my home?". It's a great question and while the most significant projects that you can do to add value like renovating kitchens and bathrooms, adding square footage, etc--can be very pricey, they're also not really possible at this time, unless you're able to do them on your own. Therefore, since most of us are quarantined at home I thought it would be helpful to share a list that I've compiled of easier home improvements that you can do...and that are actually worth doing!
1. PAINT, PAINT, PAINT- this drastically freshens the look of a room and is fairly inexpensive. If you're looking to sell in the future, opt for a neutral beige or gray color that appeals to most buyers.
2. Seal driveway- makes a huge difference to your curb appeal.
3. Smart home tech- install a Nest Thermostat or electronic lock to your front door.
4. Updating lighting fixtures- by either refinishing the ones you currently have or purchasing new ones, this can make a HUGE difference.
5. Add tile backsplash- this is more for a pro DIY-er however depending on the price range of your home, peel-and-stick tiles, wallpaper, or other options may be a good fit!
6. Paint outdated cabinets- time consuming...but makes an incredible difference to your kitchen or bathrooms!
7. Add black hardware to your garage door- one of my favorites because its so easy and inexpensive, yet it adds to your curb appeal tremendously.
8. Install under cabinet lighting- nowadays they have battery operated and plug-in options that make for easy installation.
9. Steam Clean carpets- either rent a carpet steamer or borrow one from a friend or family member to give each room a fresh and clean look!
10. Add crown molding- this is a project that with a little research can be done on your own and will give your home character.
11. Install cabinets or shelves in laundry room- this cleans up a normally messy area and will come as a nice little surprise for future buyers.
12. Repaint or stain your front door- again...curb appeal!
13. Update kitchen knobs and pulls- this is extremely easy to do and can completely transform your kitchen (or even bathrooms).
14. Ship lap an accent wall or your kitchen island- there are plenty of tutorials online that can help you create this custom look.
15. Replace window blinds with new ones- still have sheet shades or thin plastic blinds? Upgrade to faux-wood blinds to instantly update every room!
16. Stain Deck- pretty simple to do and makes an incredible difference. Add solar lights to your steps to make your deck glow at night.
17. Replace builder grade bathroom mirrors or add a frame to existing mirror- this one is so easy and makes your home look more way more custom.
18. Add crown molding to kitchen cabinets- have you seen before and after pictures of this? Wow! There are easy guides online to give height and visual appeal to your cabinetry.
19. Spray paint air vents, door knobs, house numbers, etc!- Spray paint can go a long way and make an incredible difference to many objects around your home!
20. Add solar lights to your front entry and string lights to your backyard- easy, inexpensive, and will have you asking "why you didn't do it sooner?".